Lowestoft and East Suffolk Maritime Heritage Museum
Click on the link below to see the online exhibition of items in our collection
We are a private museum of the Lowestoft and East Suffolk Maritime Society, which is a registered charity. The Museum is maintained and manned by members of the society on a voluntary basis. The premises are grant aided by Waveney District Council.
The museum was established 1968 and extended in 1978 - the extension being opened by His Royal Highness The Duke Of Edinburgh. A further extension was added in 1980.
In May 2010 H.R.H The Princess Royal opened a major extension that doubles the display area.
The museum specializes in the history of the Lowestoft fishing fleet and early commercial activities, from the early days of sail, to steam, through to modern diesel vessels. Methods of fishing are also recorded, namely trawling and the no longer practiced art of herring driftnet fishing. Also depicted is the town's wartime association with the Royal Navy together with a fine exhibition of the evolution of lifeboats. A full scale replica of the aft cabin of a steam drifter showing the crew's quarters is also on display.
There are fine collections of shipmodels and martime art, and an interesting collection of shipwrights and coopers tools.
The museum attendants are ex-seamen and others interested in the history of the port of Lowestoft and will be delighted to answer any questions you may have to about the Museum and its many exhibits.
School parties are particularly welcome and teachers may like to avail themselves of our special Education Pack - a series of papers prepared for classroom use following a visit to the museum. Further information can be obtained from the secretary.
- Admission charge £2 Adults, £1 Concessions, 50p Children.
- Group Rates Available.
- May to October- Daily 10.00am - 5.00pm.
- Last admissions 4.30pm.
- We will open by appointment for parties of 8 or more out of season.
The Lowestoft Maritime Museum,
Sparrows Nest Park,
Tel: 01502 561963Latitude: 52.48783852° 52' 41.1° N Longitude: 1.7576211 ° 26' 15.9° E
- Free car parking opposite the museum.
- Coach Parties Welcome.
- School party education packs available.
- Toilets (for both Able & Disabled) available in the museum.
- The Museum is about 150 yards from the sea.
- External Website http://lowestoftmaritimemuseum.co.uk
- The museum is all on one floor with wheelchair access.
- Toilet for the Disabled available.
How to Find Us
- The museum is located in Sparrow's Nest Park under the Lowestoft Lighthouse in the north of Lowestoft
and overlooks the North Beach.
- There is Free car parking nearby.