Harwich Redoubt Latitude: 0.052° 52' 41.1° N Longitude: 0.01 ° 26' 15.9° E
This large circular fort was built in 1808 to protect the harbour from a Napoleonic invasion. The casemates (rooms for soldiers, stores and ammunition) now accommodate various military, bygone and maritime collections. The maritime collections and displays include naval navigation equipment, naval uniforms, shipmodels, objects connected with lighthouses and lifesaving and the last Harwich whelk boat.
Adults : 50p
Accompanied children : free
Disabled : free
1st May to 31st August
Rest of year
Opposite 42a Main Road
Tel: 01255 503429
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
The gun emplacements are wheelchair accessible from the top of the mound. The rest of the museum only accessible via stairs.
External Website: http://www.harwich.net/society.htm
How to Find Us
Harwich town rail station is ten minutes walk from the museum Limited parking available up the mound close to fort. Accessible via the foot ferry from Felixstowe.