Alfred Corry Lifeboat Museum
Our Museum is dedicated to the restoration and preservation of the Alfred Corry lifeboat.
The Alfred Corry was the Southwold No 1 lifeboat from 1893 to 1918. She is a Norfolk and Suffolk type sailing and pulling lifeboat. She was dedicated on the Easter Monday of 1893 and during her 25 years of Royal National Lifeboat Institutions (RNLI) service she was launched 41 times and she and her crew are credited with saving 47 lives.
After retiring from RNLI service the vessel passed through the hands of several private owners. Each owner modified her to meet their own particular requirements. She has now been restored to her original lifeboat form by members of the museum trust.
The name Alfred Corry is taken from the benefactor Mr Alfred James Corry (1858-1892) who left a bequest of £1,500 “for the building, fitting out and equipping of one lifeboat” in his will.
The Alfred Corry is housed in the ex Cromer Lifeboat Shed which was originally installed on the end of Cromer pier. Designed and built in 1923 the shed was partially dismantled and shipped to Southwold in 1998 where it was reassembled and restored by local artisans and members of the trust.
For many years Mr Henry Blogg GC BEM (1876-1954) who is the most highly decorated RNLI lifeboat man was the long serving Coxswain of the Cromer lifeboat and he helped design and modify aspects of the shed.
The museum tells the story of the Alfred Corry and her crew throughout her RNLI career and her subsequent ‘adventures’. We also have displays on the restoration of both the vessel and shed. These are all put in the context of the history of Southwold and its people through the ages. The displays are updated and changed on a regular basis.
We positively welcome school parties and educational visits.
More details may be found here: http://www.alfredcorry.co.uk/
Entrance to the museum is FREE to all.
All our Stewards are unpaid volunteers. However, as a registered charity (Charity Commission Registration number 1039030) we can only keep open, maintain the Alfred Corry and improve our exhibitions if you can make a donation. Whether it is large or small, you may be assured that it will be welcomed and valued!
We are also able to accept covenants / bequests and to put on public display full recognition of specific larger contributions.
November 1st - March 31st
Saturdays and Sundays and Bank Holidays (except Christmas Day): 10:30 to 15:30
1st April to 31st October
Weekdays: 10:30 to 13:00 and 14:00 to 16:30
Saturdays and Sundays: 10:30 to 16:30
For out of hours or private and group viewings phone our Chairman of Trustees on 07944-586 269
Alfred Corry Lifeboat Museum
Tel: 01502-723 200Latitude: 52.314952° 52' 41.1° N Longitude: 1.673241 ° 26' 15.9° E
We are very dog friendly and canine friends are more than welcome to help themselves to the water bowl at the entrance and, indeed, enter the museum itself. Well behaved dog owners are, of course, welcome too!
We are currently looking for volunteers to join us as stewards. Please contact our curator Frank Upcraft on 01502-724 484 or 07944 586269 during museum opening times or call into the museum for more information.
Public toilets and a refreshment kiosk are close by.
Proposed extension for 2017
Our next project is to build an extension to the front of the Museum. This will allow us to move the boat forward thus creating space at the rear of the shed to create a Fisherman’s Cottage. It will be a permanent display area and will also be used as a Role-Play area for School Visits.
The extension will also solve our present problem when the wind and rain blows from the land. The doors at the front of the Museum then have to be closed to prevent damage. The extension will have three sets of doors allowing access from the lee side when the weather is bad.
A Formal Planning Permission Application will be lodged at Waveney District Council during 2016. The cost of the project will be £35,000 and we will be running various Fund Raising Events during the year. So please watch this space!
If you by any chance win the Lottery, please contact us asap!
There is a large car park adjacent to the museum. Unfortunately Disabled Badge holders do not qualify for free parking but will receive one extra hour of parking for each hour paid for.
Wheelchair access to the museum is possible by a gentle ramp which our Stewards will be happy to put in place.
We have improved access for less mobile visitors with the addition of a stair lift to the mezzanine level, which enables access to the exhibition area and a view into the interior of the boat.
The nearby Public Toilets are step free and have a Disabled Toliet which may be accessed using a "Radar" key.
How to Find Us
The Museum is situated on a car park next to the entrance to Southwold Harbour, near the new RNLI station on the North bank of the river Blyth. The car park is run by Waveney District Council and the current charges are £1 per hour, up to 4 hours and £5 for more than 4 hours.
The Southwold Shuttle bus runs from the centre of Southwold, along Ferry Road to the harbour, where the museum is located.